Thursday 3 April 2014

Adventures in Tampere: a city of theatre, art and vitality

So I may be a bit biased here, but Tampere is a great little city. (my bias being that I was born here). Known as the Manchester of Finland, because of it's historical background as a factory city, it has grown in the past few years to compete with its British rival in other areas as well.


I caught the morning train from Helsinki and arrived a measly hour and a half later in Tampere. Too early for galleries and museums, but perfectly on time for a morning coffee and homemade Karelian pie at the Sthålberg bakery. Although not the best place in town for breakfast treats, it does have the added bonus of being on the way to my first gallery destination today, as well as, a handy socket to plug my computer in to. It is also a lovely place to plan an attack for viewing art. My time in Tampere is limited, so making a plan that fits around seeing friends and family is a good idea.

The plan and following “articles” will be on three exhibition venues I visited on friday the 21st of March 2014. Since I am writing a few weeks after my visit some of these exhibitions are no longer available for view, but hopefully you can catch the artists at a new venue some time soon and possibly visit new exhibitions at these venues. I visited the Mältinranta Art Center, Sara Hildén Art Museum and Gallery Rajatila and encountered justice, nature, frailty and an old friend who I was able to view through new eyes.


No comments:

Post a Comment